I’m really excited for the new Tangled: The Musical show premiering on the Disney Magic this month. Below are some behind-the-scenes secrets and fun facts I think you’ll enjoy!
Tangled: The Musical is a masterpiece of dazzling production numbers and captivating music based on the hit Disney film. Be transported to Rapunzel’s fairytale world as the animated characters from the screen come to life on stage. Sing along with favorite tunes from the film, and delight in brand-new songs created just for this show.
The story remains true to the Disney movie with just enough of a twist for a live stage production, reuniting such characters as the spirited yet sweet Rapunzel, handsome bandit Flynn Rider, evil villainess Mother Gothel, and of course, the palace horse Maximus—a steed bent on a personal mission.
Follow Rapunzel’s journey as she escapes the confines of her tower and the clutches of her evil sham of a mother who conceals the truth about Rapunzel’s royal roots. Rapunzel and Flynn strike up an unlikely friendship and, when an unexpected romance blossoms between the adventurous pair, together they face down ruffians and thugs. But dare they defy Mother Gothel?
Disney Cruise Line assembled an all-star creative team to develop this live stage adaptation of the popular animated film.
Sneak Peak Video by Alan Menken
Three New and Original Songs
Academy Award-winning composer Alan Menken and Grammy Award-winning lyricist Glenn Slater—the talented twosome behind the soundtrack for Tangled the Disney feature film—team up again to adapt the score and story for the stage, creating 3 new sure-to-be-hit songs: “Flower of Gold,” “Wanted Man” and “When the Princess Returns.”
If you like the music of Tangled and Beauty and the Beast, check out our exclusive interview with Alan Menken by my husband, Disney historian, Scott Wolf.
And learn about the beginnings of Disney’s Tangled in our exclusive interviews with the movie’s voice stars Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi.
New Songs for Tangled: The Musical
Costumes, Set Design and Puppetry
Pioneering puppetry, intricate costuming and superb set designs transform the stage into a fanciful Bavarian kingdom, immersing audiences in Rapunzel’s magical world!
Master puppet designer Michael Curry elevates the art of puppetry to a whole new level in Maximus the palace horse. Tony Award-winning designer Paloma Young creates a stunning assemblage of costumes in a brilliant use of colors, patterns and textures. And, the sets are a delight—from Rapunzel’s tower and the Snuggly Duckling tavern, to the vibrant village kingdom and a breathtaking night-sky scene lit up with floating lanterns.
Bringing Maximus to Life
New Costumes for Tangled: The Musical
What to look for during the show:
- Bavarian inspiration: Everything from set designs to costumes to choreography was inspired in some way by the sights, sounds and heritage of early German culture.
- Flowers: Rapunzel’s story begins with a magical flower, but many more have been “planted” in the show’s design. Look for more than 200 physical flowers—plus dozens of others that have been drawn, painted, carved and sewn—in scenic elements, costumes and even Rapunzel’s hair!
- Immersive moments: The creative team designed the show to totally immerse you in the story as characters interact with the audience; scenes spill over the stage and lanterns float overhead.
- The guitar: Legendary composer Alan Menken’s score was inspired by folk rock music, so listen closely to hear undertones of the guitar thread throughout the show. You may even see a character strumming away!
- Glowing scenic elements: A magical flower, Rapunzel’s hair, floating lanterns, burning candles and glowing murals … There are definitely a lot of bright spots to see in this show!
- Organic choreography: Choreographer Connor Gallagher developed each dance number to feel natural and folksy, focusing on loose movements, lower centers of gravity and personal touches by each character.
- Nods to the movie: Of course, this is still the story of Rapunzel’s grand adventure, so you’ll see and hear many of your favorite characters, scenes, songs and quotes
Rehearsals for Tangled: The Musical
Recreating Rapunzel’s World
Click here to view 2016-2017 Itineraries and remember, this musical is only aboard Disney Magic. To book or to get a free quote for your Disney cruise, contact me and I’ll help make your vacation dreams come true!